This morning the body of Tina Adovasio, nurse and mother of 4, from Bronx, New York, was discovered in a wooded area. Tina was in an intimate partner violence relationship that tragically ended in homicide; her estranged husband, a former cop. He was stripped of his police powers back in 2000 due to domestic violence charges filed by his first wife. He has refused to cooperate with police. Police tried to get a sample of his DNA earlier, he refused. As of this post he has not be charged with her murder.
Today, yet another tragedy; a former cop’s girlfriend from Indian Rocks Beach, Florida is nowhere to be found.
Kelly Rothwell, (pictured below), a police cadet, was last seen Saturday, March 12, 2011. Her live-in-boyfriend, David Perry, is a recently retired New York Correctional Officer. According to accounts, Perry had a very bad temper and was controlling and abusive with Kelly Rothwell.
Kelly was going back to the home she shared with Perry on Saturday to inform him it was over (this cost is what resulted in the taking of her life by this obsessed offender). She told him she was moving out and on with her life. That is the last time anyone has heard from her. Perry was the last person to see her alive. According to law enforcement, this coward fled to New York, he refuses to cooperate with authorities, playing the offender's game of "catch me if you can." In my expert opinion, he killed her as sure as I am writing this post! In my opinion, law enforcement must not waste precious time they need to consider the following:
- For the Sheriff's office in Indian Rocks Beach Florida, time is important if they are to obtain evidence that may already be lost. Her car has already been located and there is likely not much in the way of evidence, Perry is too smart for that.
- Law Enforcement need to obtain a warrant and have Perry's car impounded.
- If his plates are Florida, they will have an easier time, it depends on what residence he has on the drivers license. Kelly Rothwell's cell phone pings need to be captured immediately.
- A warrant needs to be issued immediately by a Florida Judge so law enforcement can gain access into the condo. They can also serve the condo association and gain immediate access. The trap to all the sinks (elbow) need removed to be tested to see if there is blood still there. The same goes for the showers and bath tubs in the unit.
- Garage shoots and dumpsters on the property need to be gone through, regardless of whether or not a pick-up has occurred, they might pick up traces of blood.
- A search team with dogs needs to be dispatched to the nearby landfill, immediately.
- Cameras on the property or from surrounding buildings need to be checked.
- Sun Pass toll activity on his car needs to be investigated because he went through tolls to get to New York.
- Gas stations and ATMs within the area of the condo with a description of his car is also a way to detect activity. He had to gas up someplace-check his and her credit card activity.
- Home depot and hardware store activity should be checked.
- DNA from his personal items: shaver/razor, toothbrush, hairbrushes, combs
- Get a warrant of her cell phone changes are he texts the hell out of her before she is killed
Go to the clerk office in New York and look to see his prior criminal history. He is a repeat offender as it relates to prior relationships. His pattern of conduct constant texts, stalking, monitoring of her on-line activity 30 days before he takes her life should be important in law enforcements investigation of this case.
I cannot stress enough, if you are in a relationship that has a history of violence, simply mustering up the courage to confront the person and say it is over, without the proper tools, can cost you, your life! Don't make the same mistake as Kelly Rothwell, look at the video below and prepare, before you confront someone that the relationship is over.
One of the major reasons women stay in abusive relationships is fear. They are afraid of what will happen to them and their children if they leave. Sadly, their fears are often justified; statistics show that a woman is at the greatest risk for injury when she announces her plans or leaves an abusive relationship.
The book "Time's Up A Guide on How To Survive and Abusive and Stalking Relationship" is the prescription, if you will, that every person must obtain before they announce they are leaving. Below is an example from Chapter 4, one of many unique tools provided in the book. It is available on Amazon.com, or you can purchase via e-book or on a cd. If you have questions, the email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Evidentiary Abuse Affidavit by Susan Murphy Milano from the Book "Time's Up" from Courage Network on Vimeo.
Susan Murphy Milano is with the Institute for Relational Harm Reduction and Public Pathology Education. She is an expert on intimate partner violence and homicide crimes. For more information visithttp://www.saferelationshipsmagazine.com/ She is also in partnership with Pamela Chapman and iAscend Programs. http://pamelachapmanl.biz
Susan is the author of "Time's Up A Guide on How to Leave and Survive Abusive and Stalking Relationships," available for purchase at the Institute, Amazon.com and wherever books are sold. Susan is the host of The Susan Murphy Milano Show, "Time's Up!" on Here Women Talk http://www.herewomentalk.com/and is a regular contributor to the nationally syndicated The Roth Show with Dr Laurie Roth. Susan is a survivor- the daughter of a police officer family intimate partner homicide by her father who murdered her mother before committing suicide.