Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"Shooter on the Line-Taking Aim"


The work I do with missing persons families, cases that are, in my opinion, a direct result of intimate partner homicides, the unsolved cold cases, and those with whom I feverishly assist in keeping alive before they are killed, is based solely on the fact that I understand and have lived through what we, as a nation, read about across the country as it is happening in real time.

Most of my life is a collective series of crime scenes, beginning with my own from the time I learned to walk. My home, the place I learned how to play my first game of jacks out front on the concrete sidewalk, ride a bike without training wheels, and figure out how to remain alive, on a daily basis was, simply, a war zone.

The survival of the war zone whereby it resulted in my mother's murder at the hands of a Chicago police detective, [my father] would be the driving force behind stopping the bloodshed in communities across the country. This work would come at a high price. A never ending boxing ring where I was opposed by those trying to knock me out cold and silence me, once and for all. From law enforcement communities, various community groups, to courthouses,the justice system and even advocates acting as if they were on the same team, when, in fact, they were criticizing and spewing at an individual whose only goal has been to stop the killing, because I was unable to save my own mother. So when the critics of my work use words or phrases in reference to what I have been doing for more then two decades, like "hate," it is a dagger to the heart and it says to me the individual or group condones the bloodshed or the crime, that the lives of those who "suddenly" go missing or are killed at the hands of a husband, boyfriend or former lover is acceptable in society.

I suggest that you take some time and either listen to or download the interview I did that aired on Sunday evening on the show "Crime Time" with Vito Colucci, Jr. It will go a long way in truly understanding crimes as it directly affects intimate partner violence and stalking. The show link is Here.

To "shoot" at the messenger in the search for justice, is similar to taking a piss at the grave site of my mother.

You Tube "Shooters on the Line"


Each time a man stands up for an ideal or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance. – RFK


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Susan is the author of "Time's Up A Guide on How to Leave and Survive Abusive and Stalking Relationships," available for purchase at the Institute, Amazon.com and wherever books are sold. Susan is the host of The Susan Murphy Milano Show, "Time's Up!" on Here Women Talkhttp://www.herewomentalk.com/and is a regular contributor to the nationally syndicated The Roth Show with Dr Laurie Roth. Susan is a survivor- the daughter of a police officer family intimate partner homicide by her father who murdered her mother before committing suicide.

Susan Murphy Milano is with the Institute for Relational Harm Reduction and Public Pathology Education. She is an expert on intimate partner violence and homicide crimes. For more information visit http://www.saferelationshipsmagazine.com/ She is also in partnership with Pamela Chapman and iAscend Programs. http://pamelachapmanl.biz

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...