Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Invitation to Former Cop: Come on My Show!

A few months ago, I was invited to be interviewed on A&E Biography on Drew Peterson who they were profiling.  My initial reaction was outage.  How is it possible for a man who, in my opinion, took the lives of Kathleen Savio and Stacy Peterson, to be given such importance?  

When I learned who as not going to be included in the hour long show, I agreed to be interviewed.  In my opinion, someone had to speak out on intimate partner homicide, a subject few know, understand or have survived.  One thing many may not realize is when you are interviewed on a show such as this, you are not paid.  Not one red cent went into my pocket, and never does, when I speak out in defense of these women.  I always do my best to be the voice for those who were silenced.

Some in the public forget that I was the daughter of a Chicago Police Detective.  After years of similar games, no different than Peterson, my mother was unable to get anyone to listen or provide help, she was murdered. My hero father, loved and revered by so many, took a gun and murdered my mother in cold blood.   He, too, could have gotten away with murder and lived, but as so many other cowards, he took the easy way out.   From that moment at the crime scene, after discovering their bodies, I vowed to change the way society swept the lives of women and children victims of violence and homicide off to the side as if it never happened; somehow I was going to prevent others like my mother from being murdered.  The programs, media, radio shows, books, lectures, trainings and direct services have saved thousands of women and their children from ending up like my mother.  

A former Chicago Police Officer by the name of Paul Huebl, who, by the way knew my father, decided to write about the A& E show.   While I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion of my work, and I also believe in the presumption of innocence, even for Drew Peterson, I don’t believe it warrants a personal attack or name calling.  To personally attack me is attacking all the women who stand behind me for protection.



A comment left on Mr. Huebl’s site reads:

“That Milano douchebag blogger would not stop canonizing any woman Peterson ever slept with as a saintly victim including that drug addict. Milano is out of touch and her blog is nothing but re-written Hosey stories.”

He has been invited to be a guest on a future radio show, we will see if he accepts the invitation to discuss this case from both sides. 



Susan Murphy Milano is with the Institute for Relational Harm Reduction and Public Pathology Education. She is an expert on intimate partner violence and homicide crimes. For more information visithttp://www.saferelationshipsmagazine.com/  She is the author of "Time's Up A Guide on How to Leave and Survive Abusive and Stalking Relationships," available for purchase at the Institute, Amazon.com and wherever books are sold.  

Susan is the host of The Susan Murphy Milano Show, "Time's Up!" on Here Women Talk http://www.herewomentalk.com/ and is a regular contributor to the nationally syndicated The Roth Show with Dr. Laurie Roth  http://www.therothshow.com/ 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan - I was sorry to see such a lewd and disgusting personal attack against you from Huebl, with no provocation for such classless behavior.

I honestly think Huebl is in the dark about much of the Peterson case, and relies on Peterson's head attorney for most of his (mis)information. Peterson's attorney has made it no secret that he believes Joe Hosey posts as "Rescueapet" on Justice Cafe, and I am of the belief that it was he that passed along to Huebl the misinformation that Joe Hosey was fired from his job with the the Sun Times for his biased reporting. He has, in the past, attempted to have Joe Hosey fired, and he must now think he struck gold, even though Joe Hosey left his job for another. He's even reported Joe for running the blog that I co-administer.

I am not even sure Huebl knows or remembers who you are. I was very vocal today on Justice Cafe, and I am wondering if he went after you thinking it was me he was attacking.

Huebl seems to have no concerns about media bias when Sneed of the Sun Times gives Peterson free rein to spew his disgust and distrust of any individual who has ever worked against him on his case. Huebl doesn't seem to comprehend that this is the same "smear campaign" against Drew's detractors that he's now attacking you and the Bio Channel for.

While I truly hope that he accepts your invitation and is able to coherently discuss the FACTS of the case and not merely OPINION, I will reserve judgment in that regard.

Good wishes to you for continued success.

Rescue

Nanna Frances said...

God bless you for all the work you do.

Burl Barer said...

I think extending him an invitation without insult was the right thing, and the "good radio" thing to do as well. I hope he accepts and that you two can have a rewarding dialog.
From the clash of differing opinions comes the spark of truth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...